Sunday, February 20, 2011

Home-Based Businesses: What? People Still Don't Take You Serious?

Today I had a heated conversation with a family member. Apparently I was told I need to get a "real job". Well, this family member doesn't seem to have a problem spending my "real money".
I have to take a stand because my business is home-based. I may not be in the fore-running with companies like Microsoft or Wal-mart, but when someone, especially a family member, wants to burst your bubble, and make you give up on what you are building, then you have to really look at your relationship. I don't feel the need to tell everyone what my business brings in or doesn't, but seeing as even Bill Gates and Sam Walton had to start somewhere, I'll take my chances and ride the stars; I'll ride high, I might add.

First, to the family member who feels that home-based businesses are not real businesses, I would love to share how some of the most prominent businesses today started out of the founder's kitchen, living room or even their garage.

Here's a few listed below:
  1. Facebook-Founder: Mark Zuckerberg
    Place started business: His Harvard Dorm Room
  2. Google-Founder: Larry Page and Sergey Brin

    Place started business: In a garage
  3. Ebay-Founder: Pierre Omidyar

    Place started  business: In the home of Pierre Omidyar
  4. Linkedin-Founder: Reid Hoffman

    Place started business: In the living room
There's many more stories about the road from home to big business. You can read more from Where The Top 10 Online Internet Businesses Were Started



Just think what all of us would have missed out on if these entrepreneurs had listened to the "shakers and the doubters". You see, a business is still a business, no matter the location. The state and federal governments recognize it, but it's still taking some time for some family members, friends, and co-workers to get it through their heads. While their heads are buried in the sand, I will keep mine high above.

If you are facing a similiar situation, I can only tell you that your dreams are not just for you.  Birthing your dream from home can change the world. Facebook, Google, and many others are top examples of this.
Thanks for blogging with me. Follow me for more updates. Until next time, take care.

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to add that I had to delete a post for spam. Please use netiquette, when posting here. I certainly don't mind you added a link to your website, along with your comments, but this is NOT a free advertising blog/site. If you want to advertise, search for link exchanges or post your links on Google or Yahoo. There are many ways to promote your links out there.
    Again, please add content to this blog when posting your comments; some advice or general message. You can then add your website link that contains value for the reader, if you like.
    Thanks again, for blogging with me. Wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments.